Onion Chicken and Veggies Foil Packets Recipe
Super happy to be sharing this healthy recipe with you, it’s one of my favorites. Low calorie Onion Chicken and Veggies Foil Packets is an easy meal to make and it’s great every time. Sealing and baking the meal in foil allows the chicken to stay moist and the bold flavors of the onion soup mix blends beautifully together with fresh veggies. The added bonus is that there won’t be much to clean up when you’re done…just throw the foil away. Yay!
Start with the foil
I eyeball the foil when I tear it out, but plan on approximately 15″ per packet. The idea is to load the items off center so that you can fold the foil over and seal three sides. If you cut your first piece of foil too small, just use two pieces of foil (a top and a bottom) and seal all four sides.
Veggies on the bottom
For each foil packet, lay out the asparagus to look like a little raft. Add your yellow squash and sliced mushrooms. Add a sprinkle of garlic powder over the veggies.
Time for the chicken
Season the chicken with Lawry’s Season Salt and pepper, then place the chicken on top of the veggies. Add your butter on top of each piece of chicken. Then, using a teaspoon, sprinkle the onion soup mix evenly over the chicken. All that’s left is to seal your packets and place the packets on a sheet with low sides or in a glass dish; just in case some of the juices and melted butter sneaks out. Bake the packets in a 375° oven for approx. 25 minutes. The chicken should be deliciously moist and no longer pink.
A word of caution: make sure your chicken is only 5 oz. If you use a larger piece of chicken you will have to cook it longer, in which case the veggies will be over-cooked and very mushy. Mushy veggies are gross. Also, be very careful when opening the foil packets; once they’re baked, the steam coming out will be very very hot.
Onion Chicken and Veggies Foil Packets
- 1 bunch asparagus, divided and ends removed
- 2 each sliced yellow squash, divided
- 1 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, divided
- garlic powder to taste
- 4 5 oz. chicken breast
- Lawry's Season Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 8 tsp. onion soup mix, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lay out 4 pieces of foil (approx. 15" in length).
- Divide asparagus, squash, and mushrooms evenly into 4. Layer asparagus into little rafts off center on each foil, add squash and mushrooms on top. Add garlic powder to taste.
- Season the chicken with Lawry's Season Salt and pepper and place on top of the veggies. Add 1 Tbsp. butter to each piece of chicken - spread a little.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp. onion soup mix evenly over each piece of chicken.
- Seal each foil packet by rolling the sides at least twice and pinching it. Bake on a jelly roll sheet or in a glass dish side by side for approx. 25 minutes. Make sure the chicken is no longer pink. Enjoy!
- CAUTION: The steam inside the foil packets will be very hot, open carefully.
Here are some great sizes for pinning to your Pinterest board. Have a blessed day and thanks for stopping by.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.