This Southwest Chicken Salad has all the bold and satisfying flavors you could want in a salad. Fresh romaine lettuce with tomatoes, green onions, and bell peppers. Add to that some pepper jack cheese, fire roasted corn, and seasoned rotisserie chicken. Delicious!
I love simple, easy to make meals, which is why I use a bag of lettuce and a rotisserie chicken here.
The lettuce has already been washed and chopped, although not chopped enough in my weird opinion.
And who doesn’t love a rotisserie chicken? I eat half of it before it gets into the salad. LOL
One more thing, this recipe is great for doubling if you plan on feeding a small crowd.
Making a Southwest Chicken Salad
Have a large bowl out so you can dump everything into it as you chop chop chop away.
I start with the lettuce. You don’t have to further chop it, but it sure is easier to eat it when it’s in smaller pieces. Plus, you won’t have dressing all over your face. Win win!
Have the frozen corn defrosting on the counter as you drain the black beans.
I love fire roasted corn, because of the char marks. It looks cool and adds a bit of flavor.
For the shredded cheese, I buy a bag of pre-shredded vs. shredding a brick, and here’s why.
Pre-shredded cheese has a starch mixed in with it so it doesn’t clump and stick to itself. In other words, it mixes easier with the other ingredients.
Side note: that’s why, for melting purposes, I use a brick of cheese and shred it myself — no additives.
Ok, back to the salad…chop the green onions, bell pepper, tomato, and avocado.
Beautiful fresh veggies make the best salad, and these colors are so pretty.
For the bell pepper, I love green. Next, I love red. The yellow and orange bell peppers are just as pretty, they’re just on the sweeter side.
Lastly, sprinkle some cumin on your chopped chicken, then toss it all together.
It’s tasty enough to eat just as is, but a Creamy Cilantro Dressing is a perfect Southwest compliment to this salad.
I have to say, however, this salad is just as good with a simple olive oil.
Make the salad ahead of time, then serve the dressing on the side to keep the lettuce fresh and crisp.
Looking For More Salad Recipes?
You can search for “salad” on my blog, or click on some of my favorites below:
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Mom’s Cucumber Noodle Salad
- Italian Pasta and Lettuce Salad
- Summer Garden Pasta Salad
- All American Potato Salad
Southwest Chicken Salad
- 9 oz. bag romaine lettuce, chopped
- 15 oz. black beans, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn (plain or fire roasted), defrosted
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, etc.)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (or red, yellow, or orange), chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato (or 1 medium), chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Chop the romaine lettuce into smaller pieces and place in large bowl.
- Add in the black beans, onions, corn, cheese, bell pepper, tomato, and avocado.
- Season chicken with cumin and add into the salad. Toss and serve with a Creamy Cilantro Dressing, or dressing of your choice. Enjoy!
Southwest Chicken Salad
Follow me on Pinterest and sign up for emails to get the latest recipe out of my kitchen, then into yours.
Have a blessed day and happy cooking.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.