Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Veggies and Gravy
A boneless pork shoulder or butt slow cooked over fresh parsnips, onions, and green bell peppers with an apple-spice gravy on the side.
Yield: 6 people
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb. boneless pork shoulder or butt
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 cups parsnips, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup celery, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 3 Tbsp. Minute tapioca
- 1 cup frozen apple juice, thawed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Trim off fat from roast. In a large skillet or dutch oven, brown all sides of roast in cooking oil on medium heat.
In the slow cooker, combine parsnips, green bell pepper, onion, and celery. Sprinkle tapioca on top.
In small bowl combine apple juice concentrate, water, bouillon powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Whisk together and pour over vegetables. Place browned roast on top of vegetables.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 - 12 hours, or on high heat-setting for 5 - 6 hours. Transfer the roast and vegetables to serving platter. Pour cooking juices into gravy boat and drizzle some over roast. Reserve rest of gravy for passing around the table. Enjoy!