The perfect meal for that cold wintery night...and it's healthy, too!
Yield: 6 people
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion (white, yellow, or red), chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper (red, green, and/or yellow), chopped
- 1-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey (or chicken)
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado, diced
- 1 tsp tortilla chip strips
- A few cilantro leaves
- A dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium high heat. Add in the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic: saute for 5 minutes stirring often.
Add the turkey and stir breaking up the meat: cook until no longer pink. Next add your cumin, Italian seasoning, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Then add the chicken broth, kidney beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. Stir until thoroughly mixed and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes (or 40 minutes if you're starving and can't stand it anymore!).
Don't forget your toppings....enjoy!
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1489IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg