All the delicious flavors of an apple pie, including tender apple chunks, are in this cake. The boxed cake gives it additional spices, plus you decide if you want a layer cake, cupcakes, or a 13 x 9″ cake. Apple Pie Cake has it all, plus the dense moistness makes it a thoroughly satisfying dessert.
As a spin-off from my Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes and Cherry Cloud Frosting recipes, this Apple Pie Cake is perfect for seasonal celebrations.
In addition, this is a simple recipe needing few ingredients. Let’s get started.
Making Apple Pie Cake
First, pick which flavor cake you want to use.
I usually grab a spice cake mix, especially during the Fall and Winter seasons. The added spices of cinnamon and nutmeg taste warm and cozy.
You can also use a Yellow cake, White, or any of the Vanillas.
More food for thought (HA! Food blogger humor), you can also make this into cupcakes or a 13 x 9″ cake.
Lots of choices, but the taste will be there whichever cake or shape you pick.
In a large bowl, mix the eggs and chopped apple pie filling.
I chop the apple pieces, because it makes eating and cutting a piece of cake all the easier.
Add the cake mix and stir until everything is well combined.
Spray the cake pans with non-stick spray and (optional) place a coffee filter on the bottom of the pan.
As a result, the coffee filter helps the cake come out with no problems.
Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans. The batter is thick, so you’ll need to level out the surface on each.
Bake per directions on the box, although you may need to bake a few minutes longer.
The denseness of the pie filling requires a bit more oven time to bake all the way through.
How long should I bake it?
Before removing the cake from the oven, make sure to check for doneness with a toothpick.
The toothpick should be inserted into the center of the cake and come out clean.
If there is wet batter on the toothpick, it’s not done. Bake a couple more minutes and check again.
For example, my box said to bake for 28 – 33 minutes, but it needed 35 minutes to fully bake.
Allow to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to frost. Yay!
Making the Frosting
Mix the defrosted whipped topping with the powdered sugar.
Again, chop the apple pie filling, or blend it for extra small apple pieces.
You’ll need to run the pie filling through your blender if you want to pipe the frosting on.
Stir the apple pie filling into the whipped topping mixture, and you’re ready to frost.
Also, keep this delicious creation in your refrigerator.
Apple Pie Cake
- 21 oz. can apple pie filling, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 15.25 oz. box spice cake mix (or vanilla, white, or yellow cake mix)
- 8 oz. frozen whipped topping, defrosted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup apple pie filling, chopped or blended
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake pan with non-stick spray.
- In large bowl, mix chopped pie filling with eggs. Add cake mix and stir until combined. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans and level out surface.
- Bake per directions on box, then check for doneness by inserting toothpick in center of cake. Toothpick should come out clean, or bake for additional 2 - 3 minutes, then check again.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Chop or blend apple pie filling depending on how you want to apply frosting. Blending the pie filling will be necessary if using piping tip.
- Mix whipped topping with powdered sugar, then stir in pie filling.
- Place a liberal amount of frosting on the bottom layer, followed by the top layer. Frost sides and top.
- Store in refrigerator. Enjoy!
Apple Pie Cake
Follow me on Pinterest and sign up for emails, which is where I send you my latest recipe for free. Yay!
Also, I love hearing from my readers, so make use of the comment section below.
Have a blessed day and happy baking.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.