Know what your fur-babies are eating by making them homemade Parmesan Pup Treats. Using easy-to-find ingredients, make of batch of treats with parmesan and sharp cheddar cheese that will make them sit up and stay…for more. The parmesan and cheddar cheese have a strong aroma that dogs love…dogs like my Charlie Choc’ate Puddin’.
In addition to the tempting parmesan and sharp cheddar cheese, applesauce and old fashioned oats are also ingredients in these tasty little treats. Add to that some olive oil and flour to hold it together and Fido is going to be one happy hound.
Dump and mix
This is one easy recipe, so let’s get to it. Dump everything into a large bowl and mix. The dough will be thick, as it needs to be for rolling out, so use a strong wooden spoon or something that won’t bend or break.
Next, the dough needs to be rolled out to about 1/4″ thickness. You can either throw a little flour on your counter top and flatten the dough with your hands or rather, use 2 sheets of wax paper and roll.
You may need to add more flour if it’s too sticky, or more water if it’s too flaky; different altitudes and humidity levels can make the difference.
Ok, so now the fun part.
Where did I put those cookie cutters?
You get to decide what shapes to cut the Parmesan Pup Treats into. You can use cookie cutters (lots of them), or cut shapes using a knife.
I used both techniques as shown above. The left picture is from cookie cutters and in the picture on the right I cut out diagonal strips and squares.
Re-roll scraps and continue cutting out shapes.
To get that shiny look, brush on an egg wash before baking.
An egg wash is nothing more than a beaten raw egg painted on with a food brush. I love the finished look, but this step is optional.
Bake the pup treats in a preheated oven set at 350° for 30 minutes, then turn off the oven and let them get nice and crunchy over night.
That’s right, leave them in the oven, but try not to forget about them, like I did once…or maybe twice.
Store them in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Parmesan Pup Treats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3+ Tbsp. water
- 1 egg (for optional egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together to form dough. Roll out mixture using 2 sheets of wax paper to 1/4" thick. Add more water if too dry, add more flour if too sticky.
- Cut out shapes with either a knife or cookie cutter, re-roll scraps and continue cutting out shapes. Treats can be spaced close together as they do not spread while baking.
- OPTIONAL: brush on egg wash (beaten raw egg).
- Bake for 30 minutes, then turn oven off and leave treats in oven overnight. Store treats in air-tight container for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 3 months. ~ Woof!
Your canine cutie might also like Homemade Dog Treats, especially if he/she likes meat drippings.
Save the bacon fat or juices from a roast and try them — your furry beast will love you for it.
Follow me on Pinterest; I’d LOVE to see pictures of your dogs with their treats.
Hope you and your puplets have a blessed day.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.