Happy Spring, 2018. I thought I’d make some pretty hydrangea cupcakes and a matching cake for the local rescue mission with my Vanilla Raspberry Cake & Cupcakes recipe. I love vanilla and raspberry together and this recipe makes a LOT, plus I had everything I needed. Perfect!
I love this Vanilla Raspberry Cake & Cupcakes recipe when I’m baking for a crowd. It makes enough for 24 cupcakes and an 8″ cake.
Make the batter and start by filling the cupcakes 1/2 full, then split the remaining batter between your 2 – 8″ pans.
After the cake and cupcakes are cool, fill the center of your cupcakes with seedless raspberry jam.
Next, frost the center of the cake with the same jam. This gives your Vanilla Raspberry Cake & Cupcakes their yummy raspberry punch in the middle.
This delicious filling tastes wonderful and makes a colorful splash when you bite into your cupcake or cut a slice of cake
For the cake, lightly frost the bottom layer, then spread some seedless raspberry jam on top.
Set the 2nd cake layer on top and frost away.
For a great recipe that will make enough for both the cake and cupcakes, see my Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe.
Vanilla Raspberry Cake & Cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. cake flour, (or 1 cup all purpose flour)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- Seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 325. (This reduces the dome on top of cakes.)
- Mix the cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt together and set aside. In your mixing bowl, combine eggs, water, sour cream, and vanilla. Beat until blended, then add the dry ingredients until everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Fill your cupcakes 1/2 full and pour remaining batter equally into 2 prepared 8" cake pans. Bake the cake separate from the cupcakes, approx. 40 min. Bake the cupcakes approx. 16 min. (If you wanted higher cupcakes, increase oven temperature to 350 and shorten the bake time.)
- Check the doneness of both cake and cupcakes by tapping the top with your finger; if it springs back it's done.
- Once cool, fill each cupcake with seedless raspberry jam (I use Wilton tip #230). For the cake, lightly frost the bottom layer and top with seedless raspberry jam. Place the 2nd cake layer on top and frost as usual. For a great frosting recipe, that makes enough for both the cake and cupcakes, see my Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe.
Here are a couple great sized pictures for you to pin to your Pinterest board.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.