Enjoy seasoned veggies and moist chicken the healthier and easier way. The chicken and veggies are perfectly cooked inside a foil packet with it’s own steam. Then, because you cooked them in a foil packet, there’s no heavy pots or pans to clean. Chicken Fajita Foil Packets are a win win every which way you look at them, and only 245 calories per serving.
Healthy chicken fajitas
Eating healthy has never been easier with these fajitas. I love Mexican food, but let’s face it, it’s not always low-calorie or healthy for you. No special equipment is needed here, the food is simply steamed inside some aluminum foil.
This version of chicken fajitas not only keeps it healthy, but the bold flavors steam together beautifully inside the packet. The chicken breast is marinated in lime juice with fajita seasonings, and turns out tender and moist. Fresh veggies, like bell peppers and onion, get thrown in the mix with additional spices and bake up crisp-tender every time.
Nothing is fried in lard or oil, so we skip all those unhealthy calories. Tasting this great, it’s hard to believe it’s also healthy for you.
Cooking with foil packets
This is such a great way to cook, because no heavy pots or pans are needed. Everything is cooked inside the foil, so once cooked, throw the foil away.
You will need, however, a jelly roll pan or a glass dish. In other words, something with sides. Once in a while when the foil packets are opened, a little steam drips down and the jelly roll pan catches it.
Start by tearing off a long piece of foil and spraying some non-stick spray on one side. This will be the side you stack all the food on. In a medium bowl, whisk the lime juice with the fajita seasoning and cumin. Then add the sliced chicken, and let this sit and marinate while you prep the veggies.
Fajitas can have a wide variety of vegetables in the mix, so sometimes I use whatever I have. Keeping it colorful, I’ll throw in some yellow squash with red and/or green bell peppers. The onion adds a bit of white, and then you have red tomatoes. Yummy! Definitely add the tomatoes.
Add some salt and pepper to the veggies and mix the veggies in with the chicken. Now dump everything from the bowl onto the sprayed side of the foil.
Foil packet sealing and cooking time
Time to seal the packet. Pull the foil over the food and match up the ends. Fold the ends together in about 1/2″ folds, about 3 times, then pinch with your fingers. Now repeat that on both sides so that all 3 sides are sealed.
Place the sealed packet onto the jelly roll pan and place in your preheated oven set at 375° for 25 minutes.
Be very careful opening the packet once it’s done cooking. The steam coming out will be very hot. I like using 2 forks to unroll the folds; one fork to hold the packet still, and the other fork to get under the fold and pry it open. However you get into it, just be careful of the hot steam.
So that’s it. Time to eat. Serve your chicken fajitas in a bowl, or on a tortilla as shown.
Toppings for Chicken Fajita Foil Packets
Toppings are optional, but fun and colorful, too. Some of my favorites are diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and cheese, of course. You might like some jalapeno or sour cream, or how about some guacamole? Hot sauce and salsa are always welcome, too.
Whether you top it or not, I hope you love this Chicken Fajita Foil Packets recipe.
Chicken Fajita Foil Packets
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. fajita seasoning mix
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 6 oz. chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 slice onion, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini or yellow squash, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 tomato, sliced into thin wedges
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lay one half of a large piece of foil over a jelly-roll pan and spray that side with non-stick spray.
- In medium bowl, whisk lime juice with fajita mix and cumin. Add chicken to marinate while you prepare vegetables.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, and zucchini to the bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Stir veggies and chicken to evenly coat.
- Place chicken-veggie mixture on side of foil with spray. Fold foil over mixture and fold/seal all 3 sides of foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Carefully open foil packet, steam will be very hot.
- Serve in a bowl or on a tortilla. Optional toppings: diced avocado, shredded cheese, non-fat Greek yogurt, cilantro, and much more. Enjoy!
Check out these other foil packet recipes:
- Onion Chicken and Veggies Foil Packets
- Tilapia and Asparagus Foil Packets
- Orange Tilapia Foil Packets
- Tilapia Bok Choy Foil Packets
Plus, I’m always trying to come up with more healthy easy dinners like these. Make sure you’re on the email list for new recipes as they leave my kitchen.
Let me know how you like this recipe in a comment here, or follow me on Pinterest and leave a picture with your comment. I love hearing from my readers. Happy cooking and have a blessed day.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.