Here’s a quick and easy way to make your boxed rice less boring. Let’s face it, we’re all busy and boxed rice can be pretty darned tasty. We don’t necessarily want it to look boxed, though, right? We want it to look and taste like we put a lot of heart into it. So let’s do that. I love sauteed mushrooms and almonds, which made it Less Boring Wild Rice.
Making Less Boring Wild Rice
While preparing your boxed rice according to the directions, take some sliced mushrooms and saute them in a little butter. Kick it into high gear and add some garlic; either fresh minced or some garlic powder. I just want enough garlic to make my kitchen smell amazing, but heap in on if you’re a garlic lover.
I throw my sliced almonds in with the butter and mushrooms while they are sauteing. Everything is looking good and smelling great.
What goes with Less Boring Wild Rice?
Less Boring Wild Rice is a fast and easy side dish that would go great with most proteins, like chicken or steak. I love it with my Roasted Almond Pork Loin that I serve with a side of Apple Salsa with Cilantro.
Or one of my favorite dinners is some Less Boring Wild Rice with salmon and a side salad. It’s easy, healthy, and so good!
Less Boring Wild Rice
- 4 oz. box Farmhouse Long Grain & Wild Rice, Herb & Butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- sprinkle of parsley (optional)
- Start by making your rice according to box directions: add required 2 cups water and 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Then add 1 Tbsp. butter to a saute pan and saute mushrooms and almonds with garlic powder on medium heat until mushrooms soften.
- After rice has cooked, stir the mushroom mixture into the rice, rest approx. 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and enjoy!
Don’t forget about dessert now…try my Pistachio Cookie Cake for a real show-stopper.
Here are some great sizes for pinning to your Pinterest board. Have a blessed day, my friend.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.