Take the traditional ham and cheese and put a super-easy twist on it by using puff pastry. Inside the flaky puff pastry is a delicious blend of sauteed mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion. A great way to use leftover ham and you’ll love the garlic herb cheese. The kicker? …it’s got BACON! Everything tastes better with bacon, that’s just a fact. Puffy Ham Melt is a hot uncomplicated meal; don’t expect to have leftovers.
Start your Puffy Ham Melt by sauteing the chopped onion, bell peppers, and sliced mushrooms in a little oil. Make your kitchen smell wonder by adding garlic powder and a bit of pepper. About a minute before the veggies are done, add a small blob of butter and allow it to coat everything. The (optional) idea here is to give it just a touch of that delicious buttery flavor with the garlic powder. Drain off any extra fluid.
Also, cook your bacon to a nice beautiful crisp, or however you prefer it. I’m not a fan of floppy bacon, but who am I to judge?
Making the Puffy Ham Melt
Have your thawed puff pastry on a greased baking pan. You’ll be filling one side, then folding the puff pastry over the filling and sealing the 3 sides, thereby creating a pocket. Layer the ham, cheese, and the bacon. Add the sauteed veggies on top.
Seal the deal
Seal the 3 sides by lightly wetting the outer quarter inch of the pastry. Fold the pastry over the filling and either pinch the seams together or press down on the edge with a fork to seal the pocket closed. Pop it into the oven until the pastry puffs, approx. 22 minutes, depending on your oven. This is usually when I either steam some broccoli or throw together a quick salad. Let the Puffy Ham Melt stand for about 5-10 minutes before cutting into it with a serrated knife, then serve. Scrumptious!
Puffy Ham Melt
- 1 pkg. (17.3 oz.) Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter (optional)
- 6-8 slices bacon
- 1/2 lb. thinly sliced baked ham
- 4 slices garlic herb cheese (Sargento)
- Thaw the puff pastry as per box instructions. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Add the garlic and pepper. Cook until tender. Drain fluid.
- Cook the bacon, set aside.
- Unfold pastry. Layer your ham, cheese, and then bacon on one half of the puff pastry. (Off-center) Spoon the sauteed vegetables on top of the bacon using a slotted spoon to insure you are not adding any fluid. (Extra fluid reduces the "puff" in your pastry.)
- Using water on your finger, gently wet outer 1/4" of pastry; the area around the filling. Fold pastry over filling and seal by pinching or using a fork. Place on a greased pan; 2 will just fit on a 13 x 9.
- Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes or until pastry puffs. Cut each into 4 pieces using serrated knife. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a dessert to compliment the Puffy Ham Melt, try my Pistachio Cookie Cake or my Chocolate Banana Pudding Cake.
Don’t forget to save to your Pinterest Board, and have a blessed day.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.