Easy Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
These Easy Strawberry Cupcakes have a surprise strawberry pudding filling in the center, and real strawberries in the frosting. Perfect for any party or celebration, these cupcakes are a crowd pleaser. Using the fresh strawberries reminds me of the strawberry festival in Santa Maria, California. Strawberries everywhere and in everything. Well, it’s strawberry season again and I love it!
Making Strawberry Cupcakes
Have your fresh ingredients ready…here we go.
Bake the cupcakes from a box of White Cake mix. While the cupcakes are baking, make the pudding mixture for the filling and let it set up in the refrigerator. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them start to cool. When you can handle them, use a cupcake corer and remove the cores. Keep the cores for a trifle or something else later…I usually throw mine in the freezer for later. While the cupcakes finish cooling, make the frosting. Almost there!
Tip for using fresh strawberries
A really important tip about using fresh strawberries in the frosting is to blot most of the juice after you’ve diced the strawberries. Strawberries hold a lot of water/juice and they can “sweat” after you’ve decorated the cupcakes, especially if they’re diced. So try this, lay the diced strawberries in a thin layer on a paper towel, then cover them with another paper towel. Really let the juices absorb or you’ll end up with “sweating” cupcakes.
Using a piping bag (or Ziplock) fill the cupcakes with the pudding mixture. Fill them right up to the top of the cupcake, it’s easier to frost this way. Now it’s time to frost these babies.
Here’s another important tip using fresh strawberries in frosting, use a decorator tip that’s wide, like a Wilton #864. If you use a tip that’s smaller, the chunks of strawberries will clog it up, and that’s just frustrating.
There you have it, Easy Strawberry Cupcakes! If you’re looking for other cupcakes with filling, try my Tropical Ambrosia Cupcakes and my St. Patrick’s Day Puddin’ Filled Cupcakes. It’s such a delicious treat to bite into a cupcake to be surprised with pudding filling. YUM! Have a blessed day and I hope you enjoy these cupcakes.
Easy Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 oz. box strawberry pudding (Sonic)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup Cool Whip
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup strawberries, diced (approx. 5-6 berries)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake cupcakes according to box.
- FILLING: In large mixing bowl, add strawberry pudding to milk and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add Cool Whip until blended. Set in refrigerator.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool. Core each cupcake when cool enough to handle. Allow cupcakes to thoroughly cool.
- FROSTING: In large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix shortening, vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt. Mix until light and fluffy. Add diced strawberries that have been blotted dry. If necessary, add water 1 tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.
- Fill each cupcake with pudding mixture using a piping bag (or Ziplock). No tip is needed.
- Frost cupcakes using a piping bag and wide-ended tip (like Wilton's #864). Store cupcakes in the refrigerator.
Here are some great sizes for your Pinterest board. Have a great day!
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.