Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins are a wonderful addition to any breakfast or brunch table. Light and fluffy, they’re easy to serve and they taste delicious with the diced ham and cheese. The onion and bell pepper add even more flavor, plus a splash of color. As a bonus, they’re an easy snack to grab on your way out the door.
Ham and cheese together is such a classic combo, especially for breakfast. This easy recipe combines the two, plus diced onion and green bell pepper for some added flavors that compliment each other, with the eggs holding them all together. A little salt and pepper and you’re good to go.
Making Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins
Start by preparing the 12-muffin pan with a non-stick spray or wipe some shortening into each muffin. The shortening takes more time, but it works a little better. Even using a non-stick pan, these muffins will do their best to stay put, so make sure to use one or the other.
Next, crack the eggs into a bowl and add the salt and pepper. Whisk it all together, then divvy this up evenly into all 12 muffins. I found the best way to do this without creating a huge mess was to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup, or use a bowl with a pouring spout.
Dice up the ham, onion, and green bell pepper in fairly small and consistent sizes. Mix them together and divide them evenly into the muffins.
Don’t forget the cheese.
I saved the cheese for last to tell you about my experiment. I made half with cheddar cheese, the other half with American cheese. While I liked them both, my preference is the American cheese. I know my best peep from grade school would use sharp cheddar, and I’m betting some Pepper Jack would also be good.
If opting for the American, use about 4 slices. Just break off pieces and drop them directly into each muffin.
If using a shredded cheese, like cheddar or jack, measure it out, then use your fingers to drop a pinch into each muffin.
Bake them for about 20 – 25 minutes in a 350° oven that was preheated, and that’s it.
Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ham, cubed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (or 4 slices American cheese)
- fresh chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare 12-muffin pan with non-stick spray or wipe with shortening.
- Whisk eggs, salt and pepper together. Divide mixture evenly into 12 muffins.
- Cut up ham, onion, and bell pepper into small consistent size. Mix together and divide evenly into 12 muffins.
- Cheese: if using shredded cheese, divide evenly into 12 muffins. If using slices, like American, break off pieces and divide evenly into muffins.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Serve immediately with optional chopped parsley. Refrigerate any leftovers. Enjoy!
After you remove the Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes, then remove each muffin from the pan. Trust me on this, they stick harder if left in the pan for too long. Getting them out while still warm is the trick.
More ham recipes:
Ham is so great with other ingredients, it’s really flexible that way. Here are some other great recipes using ham:
- Old Fashioned Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Ham Chowder
- Cauliflower Ham Hotdish
- Puffy Ham Melt
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and I hope you’ll follow me on Pinterest. I’m so humbled when my readers post pictures of what they made using my recipes. You are all so great and I appreciate each one of you. Have a blessed day and happy cooking.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.