My mom was a great cook. She did things the simple old-school way and today that seems to still be what works best. This is a recipe I wrote down back in the 80’s when I was trying to fill my own recipe box. I would ask Mom which recipes where her favorites, then I’d sit down and write them onto my own recipe cards. In so many ways, Mom’s Cucumber Noodle Salad brings back some amazing memories for me and I’m so happy to share the recipe with you.
Making a Pretty Salad
The different textures in my Mom’s Cucumber Noodle Salad is part of the fun. The noodles cooked al dente are soft and smooth, the cucumber is slightly crunchy, the egg yolks are a nice soft yellow, then the celery is crisp and pretty green. I try to cut everything to be approximately the same size as the pasta so it looks uniform when presented.
Having Fun Making a Pretty Salad
If I’m making it just for me, though, I make it the way Mom and I did. We’d throw everything in except for the hard boiled eggs.
Instead of cutting them into perfect little cubes we’d each grab an egg in our bare hands and squeeze as hard as we could over the salad. We’d laugh and make faces as it squished between our fingers. Ha! Good times!
When choosing my pasta, I like to use the short tubular like Anthony’s Short (salad) Macaroni. This is what Mom always used, so yeah…I’m not changing a thing, but I also think the little shells would look pretty and taste just as great.
I also love this recipe because you can double it for a larger crowd, it’s perfect for potlucks, and everyone loves it.
It’s a versatile salad that you could pair with a ham sandwich or baked chicken. Then again, you might want to try this salad with my Grilled Lemon Shrimp and Veggie Kabobs. Scrumptious!
I hope you’ll try this recipe and love it as much as I do.
And just a suggestion, but just once when nobody’s looking, try squishing the eggs into the salad.
I think it might make them taste better. LOL
Mom's Cucumber Noodle Salad
- 8 oz salad macaroni pasta, cooked
- 4 hard boiled eggs, pealed and diced
- 2/3 cup cucumber, diced (about 1/2 a cucumber)
- 2/3 cup celery, diced (about 2 stalks)
- 3/4 - 1 cup Best Foods Light Mayo
- onion salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta as directed on package. After the pasta is cooked and rinsed, put in a medium sized bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, hard boil the eggs. Place cold eggs in pot with some salt and cold water covering the eggs. Bring to a boil on high. Once the water is boiling, reduce heat to medium and set timer for 9 minutes.
- Dice the cucumbers and celery to the approximate size of the pasta.
- When the eggs are done, pour out the hot water replacing it with cold water. You can add ice cubes to speed the cooling time. Once the eggs are cool enough, peal the shells off and dice to approximate size of pasta.
- Add to your pasta the eggs, cucumbers, celery, and mayo.. Stir and season with the onion salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Here are some great sized pictures for you to pin on your Pinterest board.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.