Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan is an easily made Italian classic. The tender breaded chicken falls apart and is perfectly seasoned as it cooks in pasta sauce. Top it off by smothering the chicken with melted mozzarella cheese. Serve over hot cooked pasta, or place in a sub-style bread roll as a sandwich. Delicious either way.
This classic Italian dish is easy to make in the crock pot, with no frying needed.
Just dump the sauce, bread the bird, and cook.
Then, before you eat, make a pot of pasta, smother the chicken with mozzarella cheese, and you’re ready to eat.
In the mean time, make some Parmesan Garlic Toast to serve on the side. Scrumptious!
Going deep here, you could also bake some Italian Spumoni Cookies for dessert.
Making Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
First, when I use my crock pot, I always use a liner. It really saves time during cleanup.
If not using a liner, spray with non-stick cooking spray. This is especially important when cooking with tomato-based sauces, which tend to stick.
Next, pour the pasta sauce into the crock pot. Yep, just dump it in.
Then, place a lightly beaten egg in the first shallow dish.
In the second shallow dish, mix the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.
One piece of chicken at a time, dip into the egg, then evenly coat with the bread crumb mixture.
Place each piece of chicken on top of the pasta sauce.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 -5 hours. Internal temperature will be 165°F when finished.
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over each piece of chicken, then recover. Alternatively, you can use slices of fresh mozzarella, which is my preference.
Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
I typically serve this over cooked pasta, with a side dish or two.
I already mentioned the garlic toast, but if you love veggies, check out my Buttered Parmesan Broccoli. It’s a staple in my home.
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan is also commonly served as a sandwich.
Grab any sub-style bread and you’re good to go.
As far as pasta sauce goes, I use a meat spaghetti sauce, sometimes a marinara. If you have time before hand, you’ll love this Homemade Marinara Sauce.
I use whatever I already have to clear out my pantry before I buy more stuff.
Also, chicken breasts these days seem more like they came off a pterodactyl. A dinosaur. In other words, they’re huge!
Chicken wasn’t this big when I was young, which was last week. LOL
So, check your chicken for doness with a meat thermometer to make sure it’s cooked through.
Also, if your chicken is large, you may only fit 3 pieces in the crock pot.
Wondering why there’s no Parmesan cheese in the ingredients list? I did, too.
According to Wikipedia, the definition of Chicken Parmesan is a dish that consists of breaded chicken breasts covered in tomato sauce and mozzarella, provolone, or parmesan cheese.
My recipe calls for mozzarella, but I sprinkle parmesan over the top. What is that…a play on cheeses? I don’t know, but it tastes good.
Check out the definition if you’re curious about its history.
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- 24 oz. jar pasta sauce (spaghetti sauce, marinara, etc.)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 4 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked pasta (optional)
- Garnish: Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley
- Line your crock pot with a liner (optional), or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in jar of pasta sauce.
- Place egg in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.
- Dip one chicken breast at a time into the egg, then roll and evenly coat in the bread crumbs. Place each piece of chicken in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 - 5 hours. Internal temperature will be 165°F when finished.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over each chicken breast and recover. Cook additional 10 minutes to melt cheese.
- Serving suggestion: serve over hot cooked pasta and garnish with Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley, or place in sub-style bread as a sandwich. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
Follow me on Pinterest and sign up for emails to receive my latest recipe. Some things in life are still free. Ha!
In the mean time, enjoy this recipe and have a wonderfully blessed day. See you next recipe.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If, however, you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words, then link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.