Simply scrumptious, this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe is both delicious and easy to make. Tender pieces of chicken breast slow cooked to perfection in a curry sauce made with onions and bell peppers. Add in the coconut milk, tomato paste, and crushed red peppers for some bold flavors in an uncomplicated meal.
Inspired by my Braised Chicken Curry recipe, I wanted to make a version in my crock pot. Cooking in a crock pot is so great, especially at the end of the day when you’re tired, hungry, and the food’s already done. This easy recipe fills your kitchen all day with delicious aromas that’ll leave your mouth watering. Come dinner time all you have to do is make some fragrant rice, such as basmati or jasmine, and you’re all set. Let’s eat!
Filling the Crock Pot
I highly recommend using a crock pot liner if you have one. They make cleaning up a breeze, especially when cooking with any tomato-based dishes.
Either way, cut the skinless, boneless chicken breast into chunks. They don’t have to be a particular size, big or small works. Throw them into the crock pot and get out the food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, a blender will also work.
Making Curry Sauce
Most of this recipe goes into the food processor to make the sauce. Here we go: add in the bell pepper, onion, fresh ginger, garlic cloves, tomato paste, coconut milk, and the spices. Let it swirl around a bit doing all the work for you until it’s mostly smooth, tiny chunks here and there are ok. Add the sauce to the chicken and stir to evenly coat all chicken pieces. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
About an hour before serving this masterpiece, it’ll be time to thicken the sauce a bit. In a small bowl mix some water and cornstarch together until it’s blended nicely. Take the crock pot lid off to quickly pour the cornstarch into the sauce and mix. After stirring it in, replace the lid.
Now would be a good time to chop your cilantro and maybe start your rice. Basmati smells and tastes good on it’s own, and I’m telling you, it goes great with this dish, jasmine rice is also delish. So you’re done. Serve the chicken and sauce over the rice and sprinkle liberally with the cilantro. Happy eating!
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker
- Food Processor or blender
- 2.5 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 bunch cilantro, optional
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a food processor, blend bell pepper, onion, ginger, garlic, paste, milk, salt, crushed red peppers, garam masala, and curry until mix becomes somewhat smooth. Small chucks are ok. Pour sauce over chicken cubes and mix well.
- Set slow cooker for 6 hours on LOW.
- One hour before the chicken is done cooking, mix together the water and cornstarch until smooth. Add to the chicken and mix well. Make sure you replace the lid for remainder of cook time.
- Best served over an aromatic rice like basmati or jasmine. Chop the cilantro and sprinkle liberally over served dish. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry and Dessert
Also, check out some of my dessert recipes like No Bake Lemon Blueberry Dessert or this delicious tart Sugar Cookie Lemonade Crumble. If you’re in the mood for a cake, try this Chocolate Banana Pudding Cake, which is a personal favorite. I sincerely appreciate you stopping by my blog, and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Have a blessed day my friend.
Copyright © Sweet Ordeal. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.